Jobs and Internships
Council for a Livable World and its affiliated research organization the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation offers full-time internship opportunities for students and recent graduates interested in policies to reduce the threat of nuclear weapons and increase peace and security.
With a small dedicated staff, interns will have the opportunity to work with everyone including the
Executive Director to help shape the organization’s work on important issues. The staff is committed to investing in their interns, and are eager to spend time working with them to hone their skills to develop future leaders in the nuclear nonproliferation and national security community.
Former Council interns have gone on to graduate studies at top universities in the United States, and many are now working in intelligence, think tanks, Congress, the executive branch, and NGOs throughout the country and the world.
Located on Capitol Hill in the heart of Washington, D.C, the Council and Center are both respected non-profit organizations that educate Congress and the public on national security issues through policy, advocacy, and investigations. Council/Center interns have the opportunity to contribute to the organization in a number of issue areas.
PROGRAM AND COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research news, policy, and developments in the Executive Branch and Congress related to Council issues including but not limited to: U.S. nuclear weapons posture, security, and spending; Pentagon budget; military engagement in the Middle East; U.S.-Russia relations, chemical & biological weapons; and missile defense.
- Provide assistance to all members of the staff including the Executive Director, communications and development teams to learn and develop new skills including fundraising activities, building operations capacity and engaging on social media.
- Write articles, fact sheets, op-eds, blogs, letters to the editor, tweets, and other communications analyzing news and developments on core areas of focus and in support of the Council and Center’s policy and advocacy goals;
- Attend events on Capitol Hill (briefings, hearings, lobby visits, special events) and at other think tanks/non-profit organizations relevant to the Center/Council’s work and provide a comprehensive summary for distribution to Center/Council staff
- Engage in communications outreach and youth outreach on national security issues;
- Research and craft smart, compelling, and attractive digital content for our social media outlets
- Help to manage our reputable Center/Council Twitter handles, Facebook pages, YouTube accounts, and other online outlets
- Write and publish well-researched pieces for the Center/Council blogs
- Develop mastery of our content management programs in order to support the communications associate with maintenance of our two websites and blog sites.
- Contribute to the Center/Council weekly newsletter
- Help to edit and proof publications from Center/Council staff
- Work collaboratively with Center/Council staff as well as the broader nuclear policy community to brainstorm the most effective messaging tools, as well as innovate on new ones
- Track online conversations and keep current about our issues, transforming into content where appropriate
- Provide assistance to Center/Council staff including some administrative and event planning.
- Interest in peace and security issues, especially nuclear policy, nonproliferation, and federal spending policy;
- Superior oral and written communication skills;
- Commitment to progressive security policies;
- Excellent research, computer and internet abilities. Knowledge of HTML a plus;Excellent time management skills;
- Able to work individually and collaboratively as part of a team is a must;
- Sense of humor.
ACADEMIC CREDIT: Yes, if qualified
HOURS: Full or part-time, 3-4 months in duration.
HOW TO APPLY
APPLICATION DEADLINES: We are no longer accepting applications for the Council for a Livable World at this time.
Fall Semester (early September-mid-December): CLOSED